H.K. Porter Company 0-4-0FProject: Equipment
Built by the H.K. Porter Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1930, this 0-4-0F became the last steam locomotive in Connecticut to operate in regular freight service, by Connecticut Coke Company of New Haven. The Valley Railroad Company received this Porter fireless locomotive as a donation. It was stored on the property until, through the help of the FVRR, funds could be raised for restoration.
The locomotive received a new cab—including new woodwork, windows, and doors—and boiler jacket. The new sheet metal boiler jacket gives the locomotive its original smooth appearance, protecting its insoulation and hiding all the seams and rivets. It was chipped free of rust and old paint, primed, and repainted. It is shown in its current location at the Westbrook (CT) Outlet Mall.